Thursday, March 27, 2014

All Aboard the Crazy Train

You know that thing where you say,"I could never do ______" and then it ends up happening to you within the next week or so?  Well, it seems that in the past 2-3 years, every single time I say "I can't ____" or "I don't ______" or "I could never ______" God quickly turns my protests upside down.  For example, this  one year old blog started precisely 24 hours after I told someone,"I don't do that technological stuff, and I would certainly never create a blog."  Umm, yeah...that.  We shouldn't be surprised then, that my once-upon-a time-vision of a "small family with 2, maybe at most 3 children" would be exchanged for something far beyond our imagination.

If I've learned anything at all in recent years and months, I've been realizing that living for myself is meaningless.  While it might feel good for a moment or two, being my self-centered self always leaves me coming up empty.  Now, I know I am no Mother Theresa, no saintly woman easily laying aside my own comforts and agendas for the sake of others.  But what I've been discovering, little bit by little bit, is that when I put another's need before my own - even when I don't want to - there is blessing.  Though it doesn't always come easily to me, I want to live my life broken and poured out for the sake of Jesus, stepping out in faith, going where He's called me, doing what He's called me to do, no matter how hard.  Some may call me crazy, but I want to get to the end of my life tired and ragged - like I've run the race and given it my all.

There is so much hardship, so much suffering in our world.  It's in our neighborhoods, schools, churches, communities, not to mention all over the globe.  I have been learning, sometimes painfully, that I have an opportunity to use my limited time on earth and my resources for something other than serving myself, for something with eternal value.  I want to rise up, fight against the selfishness within me, and actually do something to make an impact on those hurting.

That "do" starts for Ben and me, for our family, by obeying the call to open our home once again to children who don't have a home.  Right now we are praying about returning to Uganda and adding a sibling group of 3, yes three (ages 2-10), to our family.  You may be thinking "You're crazy!"  And you know what, you are right.  While raising seven children will undoubtedly require sacrifice and difficulty at times, we know that we won't give up anything that Christ won't return 100 fold.

Would you please pray with us as we seek direction in the steps we are to take - that God would blast open any barriers, that He would provide all we need spiritually, mentally and financially (as He always does), and that we would remain focused on Him throughout the process- not distracted by "the winds and the waves" (Matthew 14:30).

And please pray for these sweet children, that God's will would be done in their lives, that they would be given the love and comfort of a home and a family, and that their hearts would be prepared for any changes God has planned for them.

We are now beginning the fundraising process starting with a garage sale to be held mid-May.  We gladly welcome any donations and help.  As you're cleaning out your garages and closets for spring, please consider donating your hidden treasures, large and small.  We are happy to collect items from you or schedule a time when they can be dropped off at our home.  If you're willing to help, please contact me at KristineMWilson@hotmail.com.  Also, if you have other ideas of avenues for us to raise the money needed for this large expense, please let us know.  We are confident that God will take care of all our needs in the resources it takes to bring these children home from Uganda.

Thank you again for coming alongside us in prayer and in love and support.

***Please note - we have not yet been given a referral (meaning this is not yet official) - but it's something we're pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment