Friday, February 22, 2013

Share the LOVE






 It is nearly impossible to talk about Vero's adoption without mentioning the place that was her home for the last 5 years before coming home to her "forever family".  That place is Good Shepherd's Fold orphanage in Uganda.  Good Shepherd's Fold (GSF) is nestled between two little villages about 20 km west of Jinja in the Buikwe District.  While one of its primary goals is to share the love of Jesus by meeting the needs of the children in its care, it is so much more than "just" an orphanage.  In addition to caring for the 90 children that reside there, GSF operates a school that serves more than 300 children, provides free medical care to the community through their clinic, and offers humanitarian assistance as well as evangelistic outreach to the surrounding communities.  


Why am I telling you all of this you might be wondering.  I'm telling you because my experience during our brief stay at this place has claimed part of my heart.  Even though we've been home 6 weeks now, a day hasn't gone by that I haven't thought about GSF and the people there.  The missionaries and the children are in my prayers and have consumed my thoughts.  We have poured over pictures of the dear ones we met
 and have prayed for them by name.  

What is it about GSF that has made such an impression? 
 I'll do my best to tell you.    

The missionaries at GSF serve wholeheartedly and give so much of themselves day after day.  They serve with humility, grace, generosity and love.  These people have a passion for the children in their care and invest in their lives in a beautiful and rich way.  They bring the hope of the gospel by living it out and 
by teaching the "least of these." (Matt. 25:31-46)


It's the drastic difference between Ugandan life in comparison with life in the States. I've been moved by coming home to SO much material wealth.  Meanwhile life in Uganda, in so many ways, is so. much. simpler.  Daily life is a struggle to survive for most.  Acquiring basic necessities, like food and water, is an ongoing challenge.  Seeing the way others live (as in the majority of the world's population) has really messed me up.   I can no longer go into my previous favorite stores without feeling literally ill and repulsed by the amount of stuff.  Definition of STUFF - things I've been fooled into thinking I need.  And I've taken the bait, folks, hook, line, and sinker.  Experiencing life on the "other side" has caused me to examine my life and my heart to reveal what I truly value and where I place my hope.  (For more on being messed up in a good way read Jen Hatmaker's book 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against ExcessShane Claiborne's Irresistible Revolution, and Francis Chan's Crazy Love)

 What else has made an impression?  Definitely the children.  Here are just a few of the special children we met.  When you look at their pictures I don't just want you to see a Ugandan child on the other side of the world.  
I want you to look into their eyes and know their names.  


This is Festo, Nicholas and Micah.  
Prayerfully one of these sweet boys will be joining his forever family in America soon.  

This is dear Lilly.  She loves her Bible and definitely has my heart.

This is Jessica.  She came to GSF with her brother and sister Joan (pictured below).  



This is Ishmael.  He is the same age as our Porter (2 1/2) but due to severe malnutrition he is very low in weight for his age and behind developmentally.  With quality care at GSF he is growing in stature and
progressing developmentally as well.  

This is Betty.  Her smile lights up any room. 

This is sweet Matthew, one of the several children at GSF with special needs.  

Whatever the reason and whatever the way, 
God has given me a burden for these children and a passion for the work at GSF. 

This brings us back to my original question.  Why am I telling you?  
I'm telling you because I want you to know about the work at GSF and care about the ministry and people there, too.  I know that on my own I am so very limited to what I'm able to do and give.  But I know - because I've seen it - that when people come together they can make an incredible difference and impact others for good.  

This organization needs the help and support of people like you in order for them to serve these children and their community.  
I'm asking you to consider coming alongside this ministry with me to help those in need. 

What can you do to help?

You can pray - pray for the work being done there, for the missionaries and employees, 
as well as for the children who live at and attend school at GSF. 

You can sponsor a child -  The sponsorship program at Good Shepherd's Fold has three primary goals:
1. To provide a meaningful relationship between each child and his/her sponsor
2. To provide prayer support for each child
3. To provide GSF with the funds necessary to care for each child.  

The cost to sponsor a GSF child is $35 a month.  Each child at Good Shepherd's Fold needs at least 3 sponsors to cover basic expenses.  

For more information on child sponsorship through GSF click HERE

You can give directly to GSF -  Support the ministry financially by clicking here

You can help provide basic supplies - right now some of the greatest needs are black shoes for school (all sizes), underwear (boys & girls size 2T-4T), pajamas (for warmer weather) for toddlers and older children, and all-in-one cloth diapers for the babies home (here's a link for the diapers).  If you are willing to donate items, get them to me by March 9th and I will make sure they get to GSF.   

James 1:27 says, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after widows and orphans in their distress..."

There are so many ways to get involved.  Please, share the love of Christ by putting your faith and religion into action.  Make a difference in the life of another.  Let these children know that they are not forgotten.  Show them that you care.  












  

No comments:

Post a Comment